Snips and snails, and puppy dogs tails...

That's what little boys are made of!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

D Day

So today is the day that my hip reconstruction surgery has been set in stone....June 1st. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I have developmental hip dysplasia bilaterally but my left hip is worse. I had minor right hip surgery last May to repair a labral tear (that is basically the lining of the hip). Having that repaired help to fix the dysplasia in my right hip. My left hip had never bothered me up until that point, my right hip had been bothering me for several years. I went for my final post op follow up last September and casually mentioned that my left hip had started to "nag" me a bit. X rays were taken and Dr Olson came in and said "you need a periacetabular osteotomy." I need a what...google that folks...not fun! I have a friend who had had this surgery by the same surgeon almost 2 years ago. She has been a wonderful source of information. I'm having surgery at Duke by Dr Steven Olson. I will be hospitalized for approx 5-7 days and will be "out of commission" for 3 months. I have so many mixed emotions about this. I'm tired of hurting every day, not being able to sleep or play with my child as much as I would like to. "Sorry Landon, we have to go inside, mommy's hip hurts." I hate having to say that. I hate the fact that I'm going to have to be away from Landon while I'm in the hospital and that he's not going to understand why he can't jump on me or why I can't hold him. Why don't I wait until he's older? First, my pain has increased significantly in the past 6 weeks, I don't know how much longer I can wait and if I'm waiting for "a good time" there is never going to be one. There will always be a reason not to have it done at a certain time. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about having this done, I've never had a major surgery like this and I'm not too thrilled about having my bone sawed in half and screwed back together. My friend Brenna swears it's all worth it in the end....I hope so! I may have to call in for some Xanax before the time gets here. It's quickly approaching.

My Grandma got called back after a routine mammogram for further images. Normally this would not be so concerning but she has had 2 sisters battle and beat breast cancer. She got the notification today that she has to have a biopsy. This makes me nervous, especially since she hasn't been feeling herself the last few months. Say a little prayer for her as you go to bed tonight and for the nights to come. She is going to call her 99 year old doctor tomorrow and have him get her in a Duke, which is where she needs to be.

Our house is OFFICIALLY on the market. We have a prospect, hopefully she will come through. I would LOVE not to have a mortgage while I'm out of work for 3 months. Say a little prayer for that too.

I've been a bad blogger but life with a 21 month old doesn't leave much room for blogging. Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment